[thelist] Backing UP MySQL Databases using PHP &| PERL

Donald Noble donaldrnoble at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 16:53:01 CST 2002

Hi, I am looking for a simple way to allow a selected few users to run a
backup of all and/or parts of our MySQL database for our website.

I don't particularly want to have to use phpmyadmin directly, as it has a
large potential for horrible consequences! :(

I like the output from phpmyadmin, ie a number of insert queries. And was
wondering if there is a simple way to interface onto it, by providing
link(s) that will run the query(s) we need. I tried looking at the source
code to use the parts I needed, and although I can follow bits of it, it
would take me ages to understand it enough.

Another other option is, does anybody have something similar to phpmyadmin,
but simpler?

One other possibility that might be nice to implement, is an automation of
this. Could this be done using PHP alone, or would it need something like
PERL. I had a look, and it appeared that it _could_ be done in PHP, but PERL
was better.

TIA, Donald.

And with so many questions I feel I should provide a tip,
<tip type="Accessibility" author="Donald Noble">

Include Label's when working with form elements, they improve accessibility,
both for users without a mouse, and those with newer browsers. In IE 6, if
you click on the labelled text for a radio button, then that selects the
radio button, in a similar fashion to the Windows OS ones. making it much
easier to select! example;

<LABEL for="revisequote">Revise
 <INPUT id="revisequote" tabIndex="6" type="radio" CHECKED value="revise"
name="quote">
</LABEL>
<LABEL for="viewquote">View
 <INPUT id="viewquote" tabIndex="7" type="radio" value="view" name="quote">
</LABEL>

</tip>