[thelist] UK based ecommerce hosted solution

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 06:16:00 CST 2002

Hi Peter

There are a number of online payment processors, both UK native (Netbanx is
one of the biggest) and overseas (Secpay, Worldpay et al).  Take a look at a
few of them, and compare the packages they offer to your requirements, some
are better then others for low volume transactions etc.

You don't strictly need SSL if you are using one.  When taking the payment
details you'll be using a form mounted on their servers.  All you'll get
back from them is whether the CC payment has been accepted or not (and some
other information which generally you can customise).

However.....under the Data Protection Act you have a duty to ensure that all
personal information transmitted between a visitor to your site and the site
itself is secure.  This implies that you should therefore use SSL for all
site interaction where personal details are passed between the visitor and
the site.  You also need to bear this in mind when considering how you are
going to store the information on the server and/or in transit to the
merchant/fulfilment house.

HTH

Norman