[thelist] Shopping cart only works after hitting "refresh"

Web Design info at nouveauxvisages.com
Fri Feb 8 09:38:00 CST 2002

Our hosting company (http://www.intermedia.net) offers a shopping cart
"Cart32" (http://www.cart32.com) but they do not offer support for it. I
have it all set up, all the files are on the server, and I put up our first
shopping page. When you click "add to cart" it brings up an error message
however if you then hit "refresh" the next page of the shopping cart comes
up and you will find the products that you selected have been added just as
they should be. All the pages function like this, seemingly not working
until you hit "refresh" and then working just fine.

The pages I'm trying to get to work are:

http://www.rockhardnails.com/shop/
http://www.rockhardnails.com/shop/index_lipgloss.html

I've been going in circles getting all sorts of different info from
different sources and I can't seem to resolve this. Below is a listing of
what I've been told and what I've tried:

-----------
FIRST:
-----------
Someone here told me that we need to go to Formwizard at:
http://www.cart32.com/formwizard.asp and make forms for the cart. He said he
wasn't able to do this because we're all on Macs here and you need to go to
Formwizard from an IBM.

-----------
SECOND:
-----------

So I asked someone to do go to Formwizard on his IBM. He told me that I may
need to ask our host to grant the proper rights to the directory where the
cart executable is. He said he found this out after reading the info below,
found in the trouble-shooting articles at cart32.com.

HTTP Error 405 - Method not allowed or your browser tries to download the
file
Article #: C025
HTTP Error 405 - Method not allowed or your browser tries to download the
file
If you get this message when you try to execute Cart32 or the Cart32 web
administration on the server, that means that your CGI directory does
not have execute permissions.

This usually happens with the IIS 4 web server. To fix the website host
needs do the following on the server:

1. Go into the IIS Administration (Internet Service Manager)
2. Go to the website and CGI directory in question
3. Right click on the CGI directory and click propertires
4. Choose the Directory or Virtual Directory tab
5. Check the Execute (including script) check box. (In IIS 5.0, this is
called "Scripts and Executables".)
6. Click on Apply and OK

-----------
THIRD:
-----------

So I contacted the host and gave them the instructions he gave me, asking
them to grant the proper rights to the directory where the cart executable
is. They said the following, which is just gibberish to me but I did follow
their instructions to see if I could understand it at all:

Thank you for using Intermedia Technical Support.
In fact, you can (and should control) the permissions on your site yourself.
It is done in Host Pilot at Web/FTP Server > Web Server > Directory Access
and Web/FTP Server > Tools > Access Permissions. The permissions outside
your vertual server are set correctly, otherwise the entire box wouldn't
work. I would play with permissions in Host Pilot (changing them back and
forth and saving) to see it has an effect. Also, try managing your Cart32
application at Web/FTP Server > Web Server > Add-Ons > Cart32 > (even trying
Install/Uninstall). I, on the other hand, will restart IIS on your box, to
be on the safe side.

Thank you,
Intermedia Technical Support (APP)
E-mail: support at intermedia.net
Support: http://www.intermedia.net/support

-----------
FOURTH:

I entered Host Pilot and tried to do what they described. The path they
mention is a little odd but I seemed to find what they were talking about.

For both pulldown menus, the options are: None, Read, Change, Full Control
The first (Current user) always says "Full Control" and the second
(anonymous user) always says "read"

I have no idea in God's green earth what any of these mean ... I went into
htdocs > shop and changed the folder named "shop" to full control in both
menus (for both types of users) and then went back and loaded the shopping
page in my browser but it still came up with an error.