[thelist] Interview Questions

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Fri Feb 8 11:38:01 CST 2002

> At 08:59 08/02/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >Is that really to much to ask?  Do most shops that produce dynamic web
> >content through the use of
> >database data employ 2 people to create a dynamic web site (one to do the
> >scripting and database
> >interaction and the other to do the html)?
>
> Well, we're a 2-person shop, and we do!

Same here (www.ncpr.org). We were hired at this public radio station one
year ago as (1) a designer/outreach coordinator and (2) a web
manger/developer to do just that.

One year later we have a complete redesign (the original was really complete
amateur work) and a totally dynamic online news department, with a news CMS
(home-made, PHP/MySQL) to go with it. We did it all from scratch, except for
our BB (phpBB) in one year, with streaming audio, and at a budget of
$100K/year for the first three years including salaries. In fact, one year
ago, I didn't know what PHP was. People can do a lot when you have faith in
them to do so.

Granted, the site is not what I want it to be yet, but in year two, it will
become that, and in year three, we'll take the ground work and develop it
into a true community broadcasting resource. I guess it's not the typical
time-frame that would be sought for a dotcom, but then, we're a dotorg.

BH