[thelist] Basic Documentation Questions

David at softv.net David at softv.net
Fri Feb 8 12:23:01 CST 2002

>> WOW. That's quite a statement, isn't it? Especially considering Alan's
>>comment:

>> > I've tried documenting a coding project as I go, only to have the whole
>> > thing turned upside down because of a need to change coding structure,
>> > language, server platform, etc.

Yes, it is! But after working on medium to large web and software
applications that began with very little in the way of spec, I'm painfully
aware of how chaotic an application can become with little or documentation
while the project is in progess (sorry for the run on sentence!). Invariably
one is over budget and deadline by the time the app is done, so
documentation (and user manual) is thrown together haphazardly at the last
minute.
I think it's good to follow the spirit of the guideline, but don't view it
as dogma. As Alan stated, things ALWAYS change while a project is in
progress.