[thelist] Re: Basic Documentation Questions

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Fri Feb 8 14:05:01 CST 2002

> Before the first tag goes into the code editor on any, and I mean any,
> website where there is a client/developer relationship there should at the
> very least be a scope of work outline.

This is a great point, Jay - in fact, I (my one-man shop and I) begin
documentation after the first inquiry from a prospective client, even before
they've agreed to work with me. The last call I got resulted in a two-page
document recording "where have you been and where you think you want to go",
specifically for the purpose of nailing project scope and objectives up
front (this was actually not a proposal, but more of a spec).

It's nice to be able to say, "okay, I see your point, but when we started
this, YOU said...". On this particular occasion, the prospective client took
a look at the aforementioned document and said, "oh yeah, maybe this isn't a
good idea". Imagine what would have happened later if we hadn't had that
document?

BH