[thelist] Re : CDO / Email

Burhan Khalid burhankh at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 15:51:01 CST 2002

Hey Peter/Aleem :

Thought I would combine your two questions into one email. The size of the
list digest is getting rediculous, and I suppose this is my way of
compressing the downloads.

First off, CDO :

I wrote an article on CDO comparing it and giving sample code on Evolt. Here
is the link :
http://www.evolt.org/article/ASP_email_made_easy_using_CDO/17/14951/index.html?cfid=824731&cftoken=33408893

(mind the wrap)

Secondly, email forwarding (Aleem) :

I have been using bigfoot for email forwarding since 1995. They have always
been free, and although now they charge for some of their premium services,
their free service cannot be beat. You'd get an address like
joe at bigfoot.com, that forwards to any other account of your choosing.
Another service that I have heard lots about it HotPOP.com. Although I
haven't tried it personally, you might want to go ahead and give them a
look.

A warning about forward-email services :

Some POP email providers will not allow you to send broadcast messages off
their server. Broadcast messages are those that have a different reply to or
sender email address than one supplied from the server. In order to use
forward email services effectively, you would have to set your POP/SMTP
client to use your (joe at bigfoot.com) address in the from and reply-to
fields. The blocking of broadcast messages is an effort to stop unsuspecting
POP/SMTP servers to be used by spammers. Check with your service provider if
you plan to use their server for transmitting. Most free email services
(Hotmail, Yahoo!, et. al.) don't have this restriction.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Burhan Khalid