[thelist] MySQL Limitations

Anne Thorniley anne at beerintheevening.com
Mon Feb 11 04:41:00 CST 2002

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 03:40:57PM -0500, Bill Haenel wrote:

> I'm wondering now how long it will take before I exceed the limitations of
> MySQL. The host I work with also has Oracle available for a price, SO I can
> certainly move to that at some point if necessary. The question is, when can
> I expect that to happen? How far will MySQL take me?

MySQL can certainly handle large amounts of data and lots of connections.
A lot of Yahoo! is run on it, including all their european sites and their
finance service (see http://www.mysql.com/articles/us/yahoo_finance.html for
some details) and as you can imagine, they get quite a few hits...

The only reason you may want to consider switching to oracle is if you need
to do more complex queries than MySQL can handle, but even in that area,
the latest versions are fast catching up with oracle.

Hope that helps,

Anne

--
Now you've reached the point where she sees through you -
Your low esteem and lack of self-control