[thelist] Event capturing and bubbling

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Mon Feb 11 04:57:01 CST 2002

Hi,
assuming you're asking if event-bubbling is of any use, a small example
would be when dragging an object, you could put the onmousemove and
onmouseup eventlisteners on the document, and they'd bubble through the
object while dragging. This would make for a more modular drag-code in some
circumstances.
In SVG bubbling is not as yet implemented in the Adobe viewer, and
frequently people comment on this annoyance.
Of course, the reason they are only really stopped from script, is because
bubble is on by default, and because it is implemented in a different way
between NS and IE, which makes standard bubbling a night-mare in DHTML.
DynAPI captures the bubble, and tries to enforce a standard bubble across
browsers.
See, http://www.richardinfo.com/examples/php/examples.html
specifically:
http://www.your-site.com/~rinfo//examples/examples/dynapi.event.bubbling.htm