[thelist] one-to-many query to PHP output

Ed Shuck edshuck at noevalley.com
Mon Feb 11 20:22:01 CST 2002

Hi John,

I have a mysql table for categories, one for shoplookup (categories to shop)
and one for shop.

A viewer in my site clicks on category search and up comes a listing (some
listings are vacant) of shops and services in our area.  They click on an
item and go to a program called test.php3 (never changed the name) and down
in this program is the following code.

//query the db
$query="select shop.name, shop.address, shop.phone, shop.email, shop.url,
shop.fax, shop.notes, shop.shop_id"
 . " from shop, category, shoplookup"
 . " where category.cat_name='$class'"
 . " and category.cat_id=shoplookup.cat_id"
 . " and shoplookup.shop_id=shop.shop_id"
 . " order by shop.name";
$result=mysql_query($query)
or die("Cannot execute query");

the three tables are listed and each of the cols touched by the query.  The
thing does not repeat unless I have a double entry.

to see it work, use www.noevalley.com and click on category search.  The
code can be visable by using view source.

if the code looks helpful and you want the page of my meanderings and
absolutely horid treatment of coding, just let me know.

The trip starts with the $class which is related to a cat_id then to a
shoplookup_id then to the shop_id and finallyu the output.

peace