[thelist] What's the best way to learn ...

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue Feb 12 01:30:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Turki Marri wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I'm planning to learn PERL. But the problem I'm facing
> right now is, what is the best way to learn it?.
>
> Book? Net? Courses? or any other way you suggest! ...

Call me crazy, but the option to View Source still exists.

1.  Get the Llama and Camel books (ORA).  These will clear up meta-issues,
    should you run into any.
2.  Go to freshmeat and download programs that do the kind of things
    you're interested in doing.
3.  If you need a function/structure/syntax reference, the online
    documentation is available on the Web from about three zillion sites.
4.  With this info in hand, write code according to your objectives, even
    if you have to pull those objectives out of your as^H^Hsleeve.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."