[thelist] Muliple versions of IE

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Feb 12 11:28:21 CST 2002

Mark, et al,

> I recall that IE6 can be uninstalled, which will allow you to revert to
IE5,
> but that doesn't provide a solution to running IE5 and IE6 on the same
box.
> Without more than one boot partition, I can't think of a way around this.

    This topic comes up every few months on thelist, so I should probably
just make a boiler-plate post on this and save myself some repetition :),
but there are two competing software packages that allow you to get around
this wonderfully: VMware [1], which I own and heartily recommend [2], and
Virtual PC [3], which I don't own, but have heard works well. These are PC
emulators that allow you to install and run entire OSes within a virtual
computing environment.
    IMO, either of these packages is an incredibly powerful tool for any
developer who does not have access to multiple physical PCs on which to
install multiple OSes, and far cheaper.

James Aylard

1. http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html
2. No, I don't work for VMware, don't know anyone who works for VMware,
don't own stock, etc., etc.
3. http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc4w.html,
   http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5m.html