[thelist] Frames versus CSS/DHTML

Anello958 at aol.com Anello958 at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 18:51:00 CST 2002

Hey Evolters:

Would appreciate a bit of input on this one.  I am currently designing a  B to B site for a client whose basic (and firm) requirements are this.
1.  96 percent of target audience uses Netscape 4.0 or higher or IE 4.0 or higher. Main site will be designed for this audience.  Alternate content will be delivered to others.
2.  First level navigation must remain static at all times.  Second level navigation will remain static within a given section.  Third level on down will change as necessary.  Content will change as necessary. The site would kind of have the look and feel of a CBT lesson.

Ok now lets talk execution.

The traditional approach would be to use frames (i.e., two row, with two columns in second row.  Content gets delivered into lower left column with this being the only scrollable frame.

However, I am wondering if the same thing could not be accomplished using CSS/DHTML?  Since the target audience is so high in browsers that support this to some extent or another, it seems to me that it would make more sense and be easier (in the long run) to code and maintain.

However, I just can't seem to get my arms around this whole thing and come up with a plan for execution that covers all the bases using CSS/DHTML.

The obvious negative issues with either approach are user orientation within the site, search engine indexing, bookmarking, etc.  I have workarounds for all of these issues.

Would appreciate any input from members.

Merci!

JA

P.S,  Have another project that may require the assistance of a Javascript guru.  Anyone available for hire within the month of March (at most 30 hours) email me off list.