[thelist] is my asp style sloppy?

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Fri Feb 15 15:22:00 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at mattwarden.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] is my asp style sloppy?

> >This is because in JSP, your JSP code is converted to a servlet, which is
> >proper Java, and all your interwoven code blocks, like:
>
> exactly!
>
> my point is: why can't .NET do this? especially when it:
>
> 1. claims quick production
> 2. claims backwards-compatibility

Are we sure it doesn't?  The REAL power of .NET is that it can use ANY
supported language to produce the executable.  A big-time .NET project is
going to end up using compiled classes for most of the back-end stuff.  When
a class is compiled, the whole notion of mix contexts doesn't even make
sense.

My experience has been that ASP.NET does allow for this sort of code:

intro
<% If 1 = 1 Then %>
  blah
<% End If %>

To test this, install ASP.NET, create test.aspx and put the code in thee
file.  Run it.  It works.

Which would imply that you can interweave code blocks just like you did in
ASP, hence satisfying number 2.  I'm not sure how interweaving code even
leads to number 1 (quick production).  <grin>  But, this is not the way
ASP.NET was intended to be used.  ASP.NET (as far as I can tell) is supposed
to use <script runat="server" language="swahili"> type blocks instead of the
old ASP <% %>

-joshua