[thelist] k tip

Joel Canfield Joel at spinhead.com
Sat Feb 16 20:51:00 CST 2002

I owe. I would have included it in the 'k' message, but that would have
spoilt its unsullied succinctness.

<tip type="communication skills" author="spinhead">
Learn the NATO phonetic alphabet if you discuss technical issues in English
using verbal methods other than face-to-face; phone, walkie-talkie, etc. You
can't assume that everyone you're working with spells just like you do, and
when coding or discussing other technical minutiae, typos are deadly. Using
the phonetic alphabet will prevent the common 'f' and 's' substitutions and
other similar sounding letter confusion.

Here it is:

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot Golf Hotel India Juliet Kilo Lima
Mike November Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo Sierra Tango Uniform Victor Whiskey
Xray Yankee Zulu

Don't worry if your listener doesn't have it memorized. If you say 'd as in
delta' instead of 'd as in dog' (c'mon, you know that's what you say)
they'll still get the message.
</tip>

hh joel