[thelist] Windows program to upload via FTP without disclosing password

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Mon Feb 18 10:36:01 CST 2002

Hi Andy

> I'm after a solution for Windows PCs that will allow a client to upload - via
> FTP - images (JPEGs) into a specific folder on my web server without disclosing
> the login name or password.

I've used WebFolders for just this scenario before. If you have
Office2K, FrontPage2K, Win2K, ME,or XP you already have it
installed. If not it's a 10 minute free upgrade to IE5.

You can set up a special folder on the server for your client that
requires a unique username and password, not the FTP username
and password.. Webfolders uses basic authentication but it must
be set up on the server end with either FrontPage Extensions or
webDAV to work.

Once it's set up the client can upload or download through
WebFolders in http or even https, and usually as fast as via FTP.
They can transfer one file at a time, an entire directory tree, or hunt
all over their hard drive queuing files to upload. We use
WebFolders to do entire site backups.

And once it's setup, your client does not need to use WebFolders
to do transfers, you can embed access to the WebFolder right on a
web page and run it in the browser. From the web page they can
navigate their own machine or anywhere within their directory tree
on the server, transferring files back and forth.

Just another way to do it......

keith