[thelist] Perl on Windows 2000 server

Manish Sharma msharma at satyam.net.in
Mon Feb 18 11:58:01 CST 2002

Hi all,

By mistake I sent the message under a different subject... my apologies

This concerns running a Perl CGI program on a Windows 2000 server. I know
Perl very well but have always used it on Linux/Unix based servers.
However, on Windows 2000, I'm facing a problem. I can't get the Perl script
to open a ASCII file. Am completely stumped!!!
I need to open a plain text file (ASCII), read each line and display it to
the visitor.
Even the simplest program (below) is not working.

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Log file</TITLE></HEAD>\n";
print "<BODY>\n";
open (III, "file.txt");
while (<III>)
   {
   print "$_";
   }
close III;
print "</BODY>\n";
print "</HTML>\n";

The Perl file as well as the text file are placed in the cgi-bin directory.
Am I missing something here?

Also want to know if FLOCK works on Windows 2000 server.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,
Manish Sharma
http://www.simplygraphix.com - Extreme Design