[thelist] Accessing the internet temporarily in the US

Matthew Mullenweg matt at swcdesign.com
Tue Feb 19 15:10:01 CST 2002

I'm also not an AOL fan, but that is probably the easiest solution.
Another nice way I've found to get free access is at Kinko's. They
charge if you use their computers, but every one I've been to lets you
plug in your laptop to their Ethernet hookup and go. The official use of
this is to print things directly from your laptop, but more often then
not they just don't care.

A more underground option would be wireless. In most major cities you
can pick up a 802.11b network every few blocks, depending on the
neighborhood. While there is some questionable legality in 'stealthing'
it can be convinent in a pinch. Also most larger cities have freenet
groups that have set up public nodes in a number of public areas. You
can find their sites (the lazy way) by just typing in
www.[city]wireless.net. Try it with Seattle, Austin, Houston... (Houston
is .org, but oh well.)

-Matt
<tip author="Matthew Mullenweg" subject="programming">
When doing logical statements, try putting the constant on the left, for
example:
if (2 == $num) {
	do stuff
}
It's a very small thing that I've found prevents those small
typographical errors (that are a pain to find) when I'm pounding out
lines and lines of PHP. Even if it saves just one error, it's that much
saved time for none spent.
</tip>