[thelist] document.cookies (was RE: Resolution statistics)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 20 11:01:01 CST 2002

<stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com>

> > Real World Browser Size Stats (Part 1)
> > http://www.evolt.org/article/Real_World_Browser_Size_Stats_Par
> > t_1/17/2295/index.html
>
> Yes, interesting. Thank you.
>
> Side Question : Aardvark, I never used JS cookies yet. How does your
> document.cookie script react when cookies aren't enabled?

it doesn't...  that user's info isn't tracked...

i wanted this script to be unobtrusive, so users don't need to be
affected by it...  since i had no other method to get the
screen/window info from the client to my application without a user
actively submitting a form, cookies was my next step...

there are ways around it...

you can append the URL with the info, although that's just ugly...

you can actually *ask* the user to take a survey and gather it via a
form submission...

or you can do what i did, and accept that you won't get *every*
user, but at least you'll get a lot...

always open to suggestions on how to improve it, though...