[thelist] Front Page - does it suck?

John Bedard John.Bedard at trw.com
Wed Feb 20 13:10:00 CST 2002

Jumping in...

Yesterday I was training a client to maintain a site I just delivered last week. They are using FrontPage2000. I developed it in Dreamweaver/Homesite/HTML-Kit. The trick seems to be not creating a "frontpage web." We were able to open the website's folder on the test webserver in FP and make changes to pages without FP  corrupting things. If you import a site as a FrontPage Web, it will likely assimilate the code (it even warned me as I was about to experiment with a front page web).

A word about the setup... this site uses a lot of server-side includes to build the pages. They will mostly be using FP to update the .inc content files. Perhaps because frontpage does not recognise the extention it doesn't mess with the code. I dunno. I was also able to edit the .asp files we use as templates without FP changing anything.

Normally I abhor FP, but it appears to be working okay in this limited context. I would probably refuse a project where I had to develop for FP from scratch.

FWIW,

John

>>> evolt at scottbrady.net 02/20/02 11:46AM >>>
> Does frontpage suck? You bet!

This comes up a lot and it seems to be the consensus. I'm curious to know if
FrontPage still sucks (with the latest version) or if we're assuming it
still sucks based solely on earlier versions.  I've never even used it, but
I've always heard that FrontPage 97 or 98 sucked, but they allegedly had
improved it with FP2K.  (Which seems fairly typical of MSFT software
products-- wait until they've done about 3 upgrades and then it gets better)

So, is it still true that FP screws up your code with the more recent
versions?