[thelist] Am I being BS'd?

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Wed Feb 20 13:10:08 CST 2002

>>>The site should have been built from the beginning with dynamic, flexible content snippets in mind, and the size (within reason) should be irrelevant to how the pages are rendered.<<<

Rob, this was not done at all, in my opinion. The design includes some narrow vertical bar graphics, the alignment of which is critical to the appearance of the site and which gets thrown off completely when an article that's shorter or longer than last month's article is placed into a table cell. I've never been able to isolate this problem (and therefore solve it).

>>>At the low end of complexity (well, that depends on your perspective, really) would be HTML pages that are nicely commented and segregated, so that a user could open the
pages in a visual editor and clearly see what's theirs to play with and what's not.<<<

This was the design firm's solution, and as we speak they're working up a quote to segregate and comment the newsletter page. The departmentresponsible for this site is wondering *why* they are having to spend additional money when they stated up front that the site should be easy to work with. They are even thinking about changing  vendors, but I pointed out that a messy Front Page site still exists even if it's moved to a different host.

I sure appreciate all the thoughtful responses to this thread - thank you!
-Janet