[thelist] Email alterations

Michael Pemberton pemberton_m at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:08:01 CST 2002

I am amazed to see how many new features have come to be added to thelist in
recent times.  Great work guys.

I see that it is now possible to strip the txt/plain part out of a mime
formated message.  How hard / server hungry is this kind of thing?  I was
wondering, is it also possible to strip out the thelist footer and other
such footers (hotmail / yahoo for example).

As someone who is limited to using hotmail at work, I understand the
annoyances of having this appear at the end of each of my posts.

<tip type="Dumb Win2000 servers" author="Michael Pemberton">
Scenario:

While upgrading my firewall software last night, I made a mistake and it
locked down *EVERY* interface, network and RAS.

Not fun when you using remote admin software to control the server and don't
have a keyboard / mouse hooked up to it.

It was then that I noticed that if win2000 doesn't find a kb/mouse
conntected to itself for too long, it disables the hardware in the Device
Manager.

This causes the hardware to appear missing even when they are existing and
connected.

Solution:

Booting the PC in "Safe Mode" allowed me to disable the firewall software.
It also allowed my to start the VNC server.  From here, I was able to go
back to my own PC and connect using VNC.  This allowed me to enable my
keyboard / mouse again.

Moral to the story:

Keep an eye on Win2000's device list.
</tip>