[thelist] OT: Slower Modems,does it matter?

Tamara Abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Fri Feb 22 12:26:14 CST 2002

At 01:06 PM 2/22/2002 -0500, Bob Boisvert wrote:
>[snip]
>
>But what was said to me in the conversation was the people who have the
>slower modems don't care how long the browser takes to load what ever it is
>they want to look at, that's why they are still on the slower modems.

Bob, I don't know about *in general,* but there are two things you can do,
one is look at the logs to see how long people spend on a page at their
existing site and then try to target this section to that time frame for at
least the first section or try to find ways to break up the newsletter to
direct people to their area of interest.

Another thing, sometimes the client is right -- maybe not in general, but
for their audience. I have one where they want 10 pounds of stuff and they
keep the print newsletter short because they can always put the rest of the
stuff on the web site (groan). I tried as best as I could to diplomatically
let them know a 100k page isn't doing their organization any good.

Guess what? In this particular case, I was wrong. It was a type of
information that people _would_ wait for.

I still break the newsletter down into links to each story and, if you
could, you might even want to offer a pdf download for people to browse at
their own lesiure.

fwiw
tamara