[thelist] PHP/SQL storing year strangely

NanHarbisonSmith at aol.com NanHarbisonSmith at aol.com
Fri Feb 22 13:45:01 CST 2002

I am working on an area of a school district website where school committee
minutes from meetings will be uploaded by an admin/secretary in pdf format.
On the form where this happens, I have the date and the meeting type as drop
down boxes (so that fewer typos will occur here, maybe this is a good tip, to
use drop down boxes when the choices are finite). I had the year field as a
tinyint, since it is 4 digits long. The year showed up correctly everywhere
except the way it was stored in the database. The year 2002 turned up in the
database as 127 every time. I changed the data type to varchar, and that
works fine. But can someone tell me what was going on there with the integer?

<disclaimer>
BTW, to those of you who are *snickering* at my aol address, I use this one
for the list so that my inbox for my work email is not totally cluttered with
thelist emails. I have had this address since before I began doing web
development.
</disclaimer>

<tip author= "Nan Smith" type= "websafe colors">
This is a very good website for web safe colors, with listing of all those
colors by hue
<A HREF="http://www.lynda.com/hexh.html">http://www.lynda.com/hexh.html</A>
and by value:
<A HREF="http://www.lynda.com/hexv.html">http://www.lynda.com/hexv.html</A>
The author has a good discussion on the dilemma of websafe colors:
<A HREF="http://www.lynda.com/hex.html">http://www.lynda.com/hex.html</A>
</tip>

Nan Harbison Smith
Webmaster