[thelist] mail.com.pk (Aleem)

Aleem aleem at mindless.com
Fri Feb 22 19:12:01 CST 2002

Burhan, actually I bought the domain name on mar 15 2001, when all .pk
domains were made available to the public. There's plenty of good ones
still available and they sent me a list of defaulters whose domains are
up for grab. Ask me off-list if you are interested. I figured I might as
well go for it rather than let the corporate firms (the likes of
cybernet and brainnet) squat this space - they already have around
1500-2000 domains sitting around.
	As far as this domain goes, I considered it an investment until
the time the internet boom hits Pakistan, however, I feel I have the
social responsibility (not to mention patriotism) to not squat and
rather get something going on. All I have at the moment is the domain. I
am exploring the opportunties open to me, and hope to get something
underway during the summer when I'll be going back to visit and will
have plenty of time.
	I emailed bigmailbox.com. I can have my own signup page, so all
the user info stays with me. I can start building a customer database on
a low-badwidth server since everything else runs on their end. Only
catch is the 20/80 ad split where they have 80% of the ads and that's
negotiable. If you have any suggestions or think you might want to
venture with me in this thing, I'll be willing to discuss it with you or
anyone who can contribute in any way.
	Just so you know, I have also considered the open source Java
WebMail solution at sourceforge which looks quite promising. Opinions,
critique, guidance, bashing... are all welcome :) (check out
email.com.pk for a very brief, short-sighten plan - hosted locally on my
dynamic ip)

-aleem