[thelist] OT: Slower Modems,does it matter? yes

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Fri Feb 22 19:59:00 CST 2002

/
> It stands to reason that JavaScript-disabled users would be taken straight
> to the lightweight content -

Good idea, already there :-)

I designed this into an internal portal for a global corporation a
year or so ago.

The initial page has a "lite" - no graphics, minimal layout, etc. -
version that has a server-generated timestamp at the very top followed
by 50k of trash in the head. At the end of that a JavaScript routine
checks the time and if it's a short enough interval redirects to the
"standard" graphical page. A session variable gets set to return the
appropriate version of pages delivered after that.

(It's user-selectable, though, for anyone who wants to pick their
version regardless of connection bandwidth).

Obviously this works better if all the systems involved are running
rdate or an ntp client :-) but it could probably be done just using
a client-side interval check as well.

And definitely positive client feedback on this feature.

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --