[thelist] Eudora duplicate mail download/filtering

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Sat Feb 23 06:35:00 CST 2002

hpoe wrote:

> Apparently this happened after Eudora crashed right after fetching my
> mail
> but before it had time to filter the messages it had just downloaded.

Are you sure that it had completed downloading the mail?  This is a key
point with regards to your problem.

To save on bandwidth (not really needed, but became standard), most
email clients don't delete the messages on the server until it had
completed downloading ALL on the new messages.  Sometimes, if you get
disconnected before this point is reached, the messages don't get deleed
and don't even get tagged as read.

This means that the messages will appear to be new ones even if you have
downloaded them before.

With regards to a solution, I only know of a "left field" solution.
 Norton AV has POP3 filtering.  As part of it's design, it also has
timeout protection.  What it does is send addition headers to a client
until all of the message has finished downloading.  This means that
there will be enough traffic to keep the client happy even if the server
is not keeping up.

I have to say that as a Non-Eudora user, I may be completely off track
and just confusing.  Hopefully this is not the case. : )

--
Michael Pemberton
mpember at phreaker.net
ICQ: 12107010