[thelist] Re: Relational DB Help

John Handelaar genghis at members.evolt.org
Sun Feb 24 13:45:00 CST 2002

True, but I also offer this advice if the DB you use is MySQL,
on account of how a planning mistake bit me on the arse last
month  after 18 months of trouble-free site usage:

Keep the text/memo fields the hell away from other fields
associated with them - chuck the BLOB or mediumtext fields in
a seperate table.  Makes no *logical* sense to me, but MySQL
really barfs badly on the complex tables when they start getting
a lot of rows on them.  For Win32 environments, multiply that
by about a thousand (which is the number of seconds some of
my queries were taking the other week :-)

John Handelaar

T +44 20 7209 4117       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com