AW: [thelist] PWS as a Webserver

Eike Pierstorff eike.p at t-online.de
Sun Feb 24 17:46:00 CST 2002

Hello,

> If you are just learning website
> design, it may be a bit intimidating to go head first into
> HTML's syntax. In which case, Frontpage is a godsend,

currently I'm teaching basic html to teenagers and young adults, and I
think that Frontpage (and WYSIWYG-Editors in general) is a bloody
nuisance.
It's very hard to convice somebody to learn that <tag>-stuff when they
get the same results by clicking buttons. So, I'm afraid, they will
never learn the strengths and limitations of HTML. The predictable
result are just many more really bad web pages, when their future
employers ask them ("You learned that internet stuff in school, didn't
you?") to create the companies website in their lunch-break. I would
rather have my students to be intimidated by HTMl's syntax than spoiled
by frontpage.

Eike Pierstorff
inhabitant1 at davenant.net
eike.p at t-online.de

 "They talked, as human beings do, about things they didn't know"
  (U.K. LeGuin, "The Shobies' Story")