[thelist] PWS as a Webserver

Dave schemer at cyou.com
Sun Feb 24 21:15:00 CST 2002

> How is Apache "overkill" when it uses less memory, is a smaller download,
>   and is easier to configure? I don't get that. The right tool for the job,
>   sure, and if one is using PWS and it is meeting his or her needs, then by
>   all means keep at it. But "overkill" hardly seems like an argument (either
>   way). Obviously, if some server side technology demands a particular
>   server, whether that be ASP and PWS or mod_perl and apache (just to name a
>   couple of examples), then your decision is made for you.

This looks like a great time to ask my question that has been taking a few days
of my time...I am running a Win/98 box at the house and am trying to test cgi
scripts using a PWS and am not having alot of luck. I tried MS PWS and then
downloaded Savant and tried it, then downloaded Analogx SimpleServer...still
not sure if I am barking up the wrong tree. Heres my question, can I using one
computer, log onto my own system using a PWS without dialing in from a modem,
and run and test cgi scripts before sending them to a server?? And if so, what
is the best route. I looked at Apache but it looks like waiting for 2.0 is the
way to go unless I am running Win/2000 or NT or UNIX. Has anyone setup Apache
on a Win/98 box with success? Burnt out as usual,
Dave