[thelist] frames: I can't believe I don't know this

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Mon Feb 25 03:17:01 CST 2002

At 03:19 AM 2/24/2002, kristina wrote:

>Peter,
>
>on Sunday, February 24, 2002, 10:59:29 AM, Peter wrote:
>
>::
> > I just never use frames, and someone asked me:
> > so how do I make my site accessible for external links (so they can link to
> > individual pages) if I use frames? I can NOT believe I don't know this -
> > and a quick websearch at the usual suspects didn't turn up answers either.
> > Peter
>::
>
>iirc ppk's site, http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html will be able
>to help you with this.

I vote for ppk's site, too, Peter. It has lots of good help with framesets
with JavaScript. There are also at least a few books out there on dealing
with windows and frames using JavaScript (I even wrote a chapter on windows
and frames for a college textbook last year). And some others have given
some ideas with PHP and other possibilities, too.

Bottom line, though, is that they can be such a pain to deal with for many
reasons in addition to what you're trying to do, and unless you absolutely
have to use them, I'd seriously consider taking a no frames approach (and
yes, I say that even after having written a textbook chapter on it).

If you absolutely must use frames for your project, though, (and I've been
there, too) and especially if looks like you're going to be working on this
site for awhile, I'd suggest buying a good JavaScript book, as the good
ones will cover this, or consider a PHP approach or other possibility....
and get a good book on it so that you can read it and refer to it.

I can also dig up my samples from my writing about all this and a couple of
sites that I built with frames if that would help, too. You can actually
bookmark many of the pages on them (not just the main URL like many sites)
and link into individual pages and to each other, too. Let me know. They're
done with some pretty fundamental HTML and easy JavaScript (easy because
I'm no JavaScript expert, that's for sure!).

HTH.

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com