[thelist] The Invisibles [was: Cannot write CGI scripts on a Mac]

Michael Barrett mbarrett at triad.rr.com
Mon Feb 25 10:49:01 CST 2002

> Anyway, the last bit you wrote perked my ears up, because I had the same
> exact problem with a bit of PHP code that I copy and pasted from a site into
> BBEdit. It wouldn't work until I rewrote it. Something invisible was
> screwing it up, and even with BBEdit showing the invisible characters, I
> couldn't find it. You may not be barking up the wrong tree with that. Good
> luck!

There are all kinds of invisible goobers that can show up in text as it
moves from one platform and application to another. BBEdit has a nice tool
for cleaning house.

<tip type="Removing problematic invisible characters in BBEdit"
author="Michael Barrett">
BBEdit 6 and higher (maybe earlier versions too) has tool under the Text
menu called "Zap Gremlins..." Selecting this item allows you to "zap" or
delete and/or replace invisible formatting characters that could be mucking
up your code. The default option is to replace all "gremlins" with a bullet
for easy detection and removal. This tool is also nice for yanking UTF-8
characters out of text intended for an ascii environment (stupid smart
quotes!)</tip>

--
Michael Barrett
-O^O-