[thelist] looking for new host for W2K/ColdFusion

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Tue Feb 26 02:20:01 CST 2002

On Monday, February 25, 2002 11:47 PM, Jeff wrote:

> yuck.  at least they had the decency to tell ya though.

    Yes, yes, it could have been worse!!!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > Does anyone know/recommend from experience a W2K host
> > that has been in business a few years, is ~dependable~,
> > excellent tech support (phone, email, online chat),
> > offers Cold Fusion, FTP, a ~non virtual~ CGI-bin
> > capability, and a well-documented program for setting
> > up email accounts? And, that doesn't cost an arm and
> > a leg? Well, maybe an arm, but not both?
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> not sure what you mean by a non-virtual cgi-bin ...

    Non-virtual cgi-bin means a local cgi-bin or "cgi-bin can live anywhere" type of situation. I have learned a hard lesson these past few weeks. The present host uses a virtual cgi-bin with script aliasing. This means, I have to submit a Perl script to them for approval and uploading. I cannot just upload it to the server myself. It is three weeks now and they still have not approved it. That's the hard lesson I've learned. Maybe all W2K hosts require that, but it's for the birds. You have to rely solely on the host and the time it takes for them to approve it. Loss of control let alone the time  you may have to wait!

> ...but i've had great luck with intermedia.net.  i've also had reasonable >luck with hostcentric.com.

    Funny. I was thinking of hostcentric a few moments ago. Could you elaborate as to "reasonable luck" with them? What kind of problems did you have? I started out hosting my first site with NetCorps, but they were bought out by hostcentric and I switched hosts.

    and, thanks, I'll check out intermedia.net. Appreciate!!!!!

Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com