[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

Colin Mitchell colspan at jerkvision.com
Tue Feb 26 08:29:01 CST 2002

>GET is a web request to the browser, where POST sends info to the server.
>(They all said this.)

I'm assuming they/you meant it's a request "from" the browser.  If not
ignore all of this.  However, isn't this technically true?  Here's what it
looks like when your browser requests a page:

[/home/colin]$ telnet www.yahoo.com 80
Trying 64.58.76.179...
Connected to www.yahoo.akadns.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
target=_top><m
eta http-equiv="PICS-Label" content='(PICS-1.1
"http://www.icra.org/ratingsv02.h

[ lots of HTML snipped ]

notice the "GET /" command in there, which I typed in myself.

Understanding of course that information can be passed in the URL, I would
tend to agree that a GET is a web request, even though it's data can come
from a form, and a POST is a beefier version of information sending.  Of
course, the question you asked directly refers to forms, so you'd expect
them to be able to speak to the differences in detail.