[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing

McCaw, Douglas * McCawD at cber.FDA.gov
Tue Feb 26 09:29:01 CST 2002

>From: Faye Tarzwell(FayeC)
>On the other hand people with good work experience but who don't have
>the right "qualifications (read diplomas)" have a hard time finding a
>job.

Funny, I spent 10 years working with computers as a side function of
BS lab position, and I then decided to ditch that profession and returned
to school and received a MS in Information Technology from a reputable
University where I was published for work with a experienced and well known
professor. I was told that since I do not have experience in the
"the field" I could not get a job (side/academic experience did not count).
I was told I was overqualified for entry level jobs, but without experience
I could not get an advanced job. This was in 1999 when the market was hot!

>I do have 6 years experience in design and I did know all
>the answers to the questions Jay posted here but I still can't find a
>job because most of the jobs advertized here require a bachelor's degree

I now have that magic 2 years experience in the "business", as well as the
diploma and references to back them up. However, I have been told by job
prospects that I need (pick one): Certification, more experience, experience
with a specific language/software package/operating system/network.
Its a tough market right now, but I am working (and so are many of my
friends)

I have never seen a project fail because someone did not use the right tag.
However, I have seen several projects fail because:
Requirements never completed(wrote and rewrote).
User was not included in any planning (delivered the wrong product).
Programmers did what they were told and never brought problems to
management.
(Massive cost over-runs, missed deadlines, buggy code)

My advice on skills testing:
1) Ditch the test or relegate it to about 10% of your final score
(may make a difference between two good candidates).
2) Call back your best prospects from the first interview and spend about
4hrs apiece with them, take them out to lunch, get others opinions.
3) Teach them a new trick and see if they get it.
4) Choose someone who will add to the diversity of thought in you
organization
and is compatible with the corporate values.
5) You WILL have to teach them, hopefully they can teach YOU too!

doug mccaw
web applications consultant
mccawd at cber.fda.gov
dmccaw1 at umbc.edu