[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

l a u r a *^* l y n c h cyberminkie at cyberwhirled.com
Tue Feb 26 09:38:00 CST 2002

At 09:12 AM 2/26/02, you wrote:
>I'm not annoyed at the people per say, it's how they've been taught. The
>general attitude that web design it still 'easy', no-one seems to be
>teaching what HTML *IS* and how to use it correctly.

Speaking from personal experience here, I think a large part of the problem
is that it's very difficult to get a teaching job without a BA, and most
places want prior teaching experience as well. Since the majority of the
Web design bachelor degree programs out there teach Dreamweaver nowadays,
it's a vicious cycle -- the people with BAs don't have the information to
teach text based HTML, and the people who have the knowledge are either
'underqualified' (I've an AA in Multimedia Production and 4+ years
professional experience) or not desired because it doesn't fit in with some
schools' 'be a web designer in 8 weeks' mentality.

Also, re: the original post, what exactly do you mean when you say you're
looking for a 'web developer'? I generally skip right over those ads, as
I've found they generally are for ASP/Perl/JAVA/etc. programmers, but it
sounds like you want someone to do basic HTML/DHTML. This may be why you're
not getting responses from more senior level people -- they read the title
and think you're looking for something they're not. Next time, try just
putting the main skills you're looking for as the header instead of the
title. That way people know at a glance you want HTML/CSS/JavaScript (or
Graphic Designer, or ASP/SQL/Perl, or whatever) -- likely you'll get a lot
more responses that way.

Good luck!

l a u r a *^* l y n c h
design doyen @ cyberwhirled