[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at kmsoftware.com
Tue Feb 26 09:43:01 CST 2002

Michael wrote... "

There are seldom any forays between the computer science departments and the
art departments of universities. I don't know from experience, but I imagine
that computer science departments face similar problems. "

from my experience they do. i studied fine art and history of art (great job
prospects huh?)as an undergrad and then studies computer based information
systems as a post grad (different universities). just kind of fell into web
and multimedia stuff as it was a newly developing area that the Comp
department wanted to explore and i was the only person on the course to have
both the visual and technical (sic) skills to explore it. there was no cross
department pollenation (so to speak) at all.

Responding to what Alistair said, "but when people who are *qualified* or to
put it another way 'have reached a recognised level in learning potential'".
what do either of my two degrees qualify me to do? i'd really like to know
(within reasons ;) ). surely you're talking about vocational qualifications
here if you expect a person to fulfil a role after taking a course.

Also, the *real world pill* can be as bitter for graduates, and
non-graduates alike.

roger