[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue Feb 26 10:25:10 CST 2002

Hi,
It seems to me that the questions are quite subjective - and the answers you
give are obviously your interpretation, not necessarily the most accurate,
or the only answer.
Knowing what various net-terms stand for, and where they came from is
interesting, but not particularly important in my view, - it's like knowing
the decimals of PI to the nth level, or knowing the birthdays of all
American presidents.
Do we need to find out what the word .NET stands for before learning the
technology?

<<1.      What does HTML stand for? It is a subset of what language?
<<         a.      Hyper Text Markup Language
<<         b.      SGML - Standard Generalized Markup Language
I wouldn't regard this as the most important fact to know... (being nr1 on
the list)

<<2.      What three tags are required in a web page?
<<         a.      <html></html>
<<         b.      <head></head>
<<         c.      <body></body>
As mentioned that is wrong.

<<4.      What is the primary difference between scripting languages and
<<compiled languages?
<<         a.      Scripting languages are parsed or compiled at run time,
<<(for instance, when a web page containing script is requested) where
<<compiled languages have already been parsed or compiled into machine level
<<code and are just awaiting information to be passed to them for the
<<operation to be performed.
How is this relevant to an entry level web developer? Should they know COM?
or be able to setup a UNIX server?
Interesting facts, yes - but relevant ...?

>>9.      What is the "7 Second Rule"?
>>         a.      The "7 Second Rule" is a usability rule that states a web
Not having heard of this yet, I searched Google - if it is a commonly
acknowledged usability rule, it is not well publicized:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&querytime=nuD93B&q=%227+Seco
nd+Rule%22

<<15.     What is ASP? What is it used for?
<<         a.      Active Server Pages - used with Microsoft Internet
<<Information Server but is being made available on Unix/Linux servers as
well.
<<         b.      It is used for server side processing of information and
<<procedures prior to delivering a web page to a visitor. It can use
multiple
<<scripting languages such as VBScript, JSP, and PERL.

ASP can use: VBscript, JScript and PerlScript.
JSP is not a scripting  language, the same as ASP is not. It is JavaServer
Pages.
Perl and PerlScript are not the same thing

>>18.     You will now be given a sample web page (printed) and provided
with
<<  <snip>
<<2 points each for the correct required tags (x 1 for each tag used)
<<         <h1></h1>                               <tr></tr>
<<         <h2></h2>                               <td></td>
<<1 point each for the correct required tag attributes (x 1 each attribute
used)
<<         alt =                                   align =
<<         bgcolor =                               class =

I would think <strong> and "align" and "bgcolor" should be expressly
avoided?

I think more research could have gone into the test - accuracy is important
when peoples lively-hood is at stake.

Cheers,
Richard.