[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

James Wampler - Evolt evolt at jwampler.com
Tue Feb 26 10:57:01 CST 2002

> What does this mean? Are we, the seasoned professionals in web development
> not sharing our knowledge and experience (I agree with an earlier post on
> mentoring.)? Without a way to certify (with some meaning) web developers
by
> testing for comprehensive knowledge how can employers know what to ask
for?
> I have a thousand other concerns and questions....

Jay,

     While I agree that your test does a good job of accurately gauging an
applicants level of knowledge, I would not weed out applicants solely on the
basis of test scores alone.  When I was hired a year and a half ago at my
current job, I doubt if I could have scored higher then any of the
applicants that you tested.  Today, I could answer every question correctly.
It seems to me that the most important thing to look for in a new employee
is someone that is going to fit in with the other employees in your shop,
and who has the potential to better their skills over time.  Now that you
have tested your applicants, bring them back for a second interview, talk to
them about the results, and get a feel for their personalities and skills
they have that aren't web related.  When I was hired, I had several years
experience with C++ and Visual Basic programming, but very little Web
Development or design experience.  However, I have found the transition to
server and client-side scripting a very easy one to make because of that
experience.  You might find that the applicant with the lowest score on your
test is the most able applicant.  Then, hire them, subscribe them to Evolt,
and wait a couple of months. :)

-James Wampler
evolt at jwampler.com