[thelist] flash accessibility/usability (was: Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing])

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 26 11:30:01 CST 2002

> From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>
[...]
> Agreed. But that doesn't equate to a conclusion that Flash is bad -
> this is what I'm arguing against - assuming that Flash is inherently
> bad because it can be difficult to learn how to use and when not to
> use it.
[...]

this is correct, because Flash has a number of usability and
accessibility limitations does not make it inherently bad... there are
many cases where Flash is the ideal solution and usability and
accessibility fall to the wayside...

so, while Nielsen's title says Flash is bad ("Flash: 99% Bad"), his
abstract frames it more accurately ("Although multimedia has its
role on the Web, current Flash technology tends to discourage
usability for three reasons: [...]")

you might see an analog to the ALA article from a year ago, "To
Hell with Bad Browsers" which, in zeldman's words, can cause the
message to get lost when people focus solely on the title
(http://evolt.org/Bad_Editors/#comment6148, last paragraph)...