Liquid layouts and holy warfare (WAS RE: [thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing])

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Tue Feb 26 16:16:01 CST 2002

On Feb 26, John Handelaar had something to say about Liquid layouts and...

>FWIW, this is why 'liquid' sites bug the hell out
>of me.  Usability, to my mind, ought to pay some
>attention to well-established design 'laws'
>regarding the optimal width of text columns.
>
>As someone who more or less always works in
>1024x768 or (in richer days) higher resolution,
>generally speaking liquid layouts are unreadable
>to me.
>
>But I'm in a minority round here.

I develop websites. I've never taken any classes on text column width
theory. You want to leave the column with up to me?

I'd rather leave it up to each individual user by creating a liquid design
that allows for a mutable column width by resizing the window.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com