[thelist] revisiting frames vs CSS

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Feb 26 20:41:00 CST 2002

There was a short-lived frames vs. css thread a few weeks ago that I
was interested in ... would like to continue it.

I'd like to duplicate something like this, using CSS with no frames:

<frameset rows="*,100">
	<frame src="foo" name="content" scrolling="auto">
	<frame src="bar" name="nav" scrolling="no">
</frameset>

I've poked around a bit and can't find a way to get a positioned div
to always be at the very bottom in NS 6 - is this possible with CSS
alone (no DHTML)?

I'd do it with DHTML if I could find something that worked
excellently in Nav 4+ and IE 4+ for both Mac and Windows, but haven't
found that either.

The client didn't like my suggestion that the content of the nav
frame just be placed on the top and bottom of the page. Flash zealots
need not suggest doing the whole thing in Flash. Hah.

At this point, I'm thinking using frames might be the best solution
... like how many years or decades is it going to be before browsers
refuse to display frames?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/