Business case for Technology X was: [thelist] flash accessibility/usability

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Feb 27 07:17:00 CST 2002

> 1) Test during the development phase (this is classic usability testing,
>     testing prototypes at paper model, HTML model and working system
>    stages)
> 2) Test as a pilot before rollout. Test different versions
> with single
>     variables changed (or *everything* changed), and test new against
>     best existing. Test more than just creative approach (it's rarely the
>     most significant element). If your site has a transactional element,
>     measuring is easy. If not, you'll have to do regional splits and
> measure
>     more general factors (name recognition, incremental revenue etc).
>
>     Amazon do this - they test new features, sometimes with a small %age
>     of the userbase. Successful features which add sales get rolled out.

And to build the point a step further, follow-up with more testing...

Even after 1) and 2), your solution may still need some work. To use the
above example, although it was probably initially one of the most effective
and most usable nav techniques that ever existed on the web, we are all
aware of the problems that Amazon had to solve when their tabs got too big.
Go back, test some more.

BH