[thelist] flash accessibility/usability

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Feb 27 09:47:01 CST 2002

On 10:26 PM 2/26/2002, Daniel J. Cody said to me:
>.jeff wrote:
>
>>yes, i completely agree that it has its uses.  my "makes shit move" comment
>>was in reference to how it's *usually* sold as a solution.  apparently many
>>of the people don't understand everything they can do with it and pitch it
>>as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  that's unfortunate --
>>especially since flash has potential for so much more than that in capable
>>hands.
>
>so then, the problem is not with the technology, but with how certain
>people apply it.

Yes, and this is my primary point (and then I'm dropping this, I swear).

If I don't like ASP as a technology, it doesn't prevent me from using sites
that run ASP.  However, if I don't like Flash as a technology, I can turn
it off. (Yes, there are differences; work with me for a sec...)

Now, all of the pro-Flash arguments implore me not to lump them in with the
abusers of Flash.  So, how is that possible?  If I turn off ActiveX
controls and plug-ins, I don't see ANY Flash: good or bad.

Ergo, if the bad Flash developers drive users nuts and they learn how to
turn it off, then you *are* lumped in with the bad Flash developers, no?

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/

     If you save the world too often, it begins to expect it.