[thelist] SELECT * FROM... (was laying out in PHP)

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Wed Feb 27 16:13:01 CST 2002

> Anyway, I was just wondering why those 'in the know' dislike
> the use of SELECT * FROM... I often see its use discouraged,
> and I was wondering why it is bad to use it.

because it's a waste of resources (the db figuring out the columns and
such) and bandwidth (returning more information than you'll use --a
waste of network bandwidth and memory when spooled up on the server)

make sense?

that, and it's a cheap way to document (somewhat) what you're doing to
the db....

sgd
--
http://thinksafely.org