[thelist] Re: Web site statistics (Zoe Oughton)

Luc Carton luc_carton at eshopability.com
Thu Feb 28 12:50:01 CST 2002

Hi Zoe,

For your Web statistics, if it is necessary to check it with individual IP
it is also good to check the origin of these IP because a lot of visitors
are... spiders.

Not only spiders from big search engines like Googles, but also "private"
spiders : softwares that detect a change in your web site or pages,
services like mindit.com and so on.

examples of spiders/robots IP I found for thousands of visits in my log files:

x1crawler-1-0.x-echo.com
Mozilla/4.0_(compatible;_MSIE_5.0;_Windows_95)_TrueRobot/1.4 libwww/5.2.8
Openfind data gatherer, Openbot
FAST-WebCrawler
Openfind data gatherer, Openbot
spider.batsch.com
Mylinea.com Spider
Scooter-3.2.DIL

The problem is that generally the aggregated statistics available from a
provider will give you the number of visit or download for a page or file
but will not tell you from "who".

Best,
Luc

>My organisation produces a large number of reports which users can download
>free from our web site as pdf files, the statistics show that 1,000's of
>reports are downloaded and I am interested to know if these figures can be
>regarded as reliable.

Luc CARTON
Homepages that sell
http://www.eshopability.com/reports/homepages/presentation.htm