[thelist] [OT] Network connectivity in Mac OS X

Fred Hubnik fredh at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 1 10:09:26 CST 2002

On 3/1/02 2:45 AM, "Mark Howells" transmitted:

> I open the network preferences panel, use the second pull-down menu to
> switch from Internal Modem to Built-in Ethernet, then quit System
> Preferences--but if I re-open the preferences panel immediately, it's back
> on Internal Modem again.

When you open your network preferences in OSX the device shown is not
necessarily the device you use to connect to the internet. That's just the
order they show up.

If you are having problems getting OSX to remember your network settings,
try creating a new location, the old preferences may have been corrupted.

Then if you would like 'Ethernet' to show up before 'Modem' in the device
list, click on that pull down menu and select 'Active Network Ports'. You
can then drag the 'Ethernet' above your 'modem' in the list.

<tip>
In BBEdit for OSX, you can't save a file to begin with '.' like .htaccess. A
work around is to put this applescript in your scripts folder:

tell application "BBEdit 6.5"
    activate
    set old_name to name of window 1
    set the_file to file of window 1

    set dialog_result to display dialog ¬
        "Rename file:" default answer (old_name) ¬
        buttons {"Cancel", "Rename"} default button 2 ¬
        with icon note

    if button returned of dialog_result = "Rename" then
        tell application "Finder"
            set name of the_file to text returned of dialog_result
        end tell
    else
        error number -128 -- user canceled
    end if
end tell

Then while working in a file you want to begin with a '.' save it first
without the '.' like 'htaccess'. Then run the applescript and it will add
the '.'.

</tip>

f   g   h

http://www.asicx.com