[thelist] Streaming Question??

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Fri Mar 1 13:52:01 CST 2002

> >> How many users can access that file at the same time?
>
> >Probably more. It will depend on the server/streaming method.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> server/streaming method? can you aloborate on this a little more?

Well, now that you know you're streaming via http, we can say the number of
concurrent users is dependent on the server's ability to handle the load.
Had you been streaming via RealServer, it would have depended on the number
of licenses assigned to that server.

Someone who is more familiar with web servers' abilities to handle audio
streaming via http could probably tell you more specifically how much a
server might handle. I'll tell you that I've not had a server get too bogged
down. We have many, many rams on our server (shared server) but get only
slightly less than a thousand requests for .rm files per month.

More info on http streaming here:
http://www.realnetworks.com/resources/contentdelivery/documentation/httpstre
am.html

BH