[thelist] Paying my dues for ([OT] Dewi Sant)

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Fri Mar 1 16:32:00 CST 2002

<tip type="Launching links in external windows" author="Mark Howells -
http://www.mark.ac/evl/">
If you're browsing a website in Internet Explorer and want to open a link in
a new window, overriding the site designer's choice, use Shift-click in
Windows or Command-click on Macintosh.
</tip>

> your referrer stats are gonna be skewed -- this is evolt, so your
> URL should've had your customary /evl/ at the end   ;o)

<tip type="Website referrals with PHP" author="Mark Howells -
http://www.mark.ac/evl/">
If you're running a site which uses a server-side scripting language and
want to see how many people visit your site by clicking on a URL in your
email signature, set up a special folder that is only advertised in the
email signature*. Then add a database insert / email function in the index
page of the folder in question, followed by an HTTP redirect to the folder /
URL of your choice. That way, you'll know where your visitor heard about
your site, without having an HTTP referrer.
</tip>

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/> (*Oh look, an example!)