[thelist] Max file size for site-wide header graphic

Olly Hodgson gnarly at punkass.com
Sat Mar 2 11:37:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Stevens" <stem at stemofficial.co.uk>
Subject: [thelist] Max file size for site-wide header graphic

> I have spent today creating a header for my band's new site, and I have
> finally created one that I am happy with. However, on saving it, with the
> maximum jpeg compression I can use without messing up the image quality,
it
> is 23.6KB.
> Is this too large? It will be used on every page in the site.

IMHO yes it is too big. You could try slicing it up, and consider using GIF
for parts of it that are more suited to the format (fewer colours, large
flat areas of colour), and JPG for the rest. Check the progresive (JPG) and
interlaced (GIF) options too - that way the user at least sees a low quality
version of the image whilst the rest of it downloads (where the browser
supports it). Perhaps you could make the physical dimensions of the images
smaller?
--
Olly
- www.gnarly-bitches.co.uk -